RIP RUNNIN & ROARIN

This is just an outlet for me, to be able to get my thoughts out! I am a Woman, Wife and Mommy that also works outside the home! Just me trying to make it all work for the best for my family and myself! Just my journey!

Saturday, March 27, 2010

My Career

5 years ago, I just wanted a job. Something to bring in money in order to help our family move and maybe take some of the stress off of my husband!
When a friend said "apply at the railroad"! Ha, I laughed and then I applied and I applied and I applied, I just wanted a job, any job that would give us health insurance and pay a couple of bills! That's it!
4 years ago, I received that job! I was hired as a coach cleaner and I was elated! I was blessed. I really think I could have stayed in that position. I could have done my job and come home, not striving for any more and not proving anything to myself or others. Scratch that last statement, yes I could have stayed in that position, but without striving for more, I would have been miserable! Thankfully, I am surrounded by family and friends that cheer me on and I work for a company that believes in growth.
3 1/2 years ago, I was accepted into a program that trains, up and coming first line supervisors! wohoo!
2 years ago, I was finally given a First Line Supervisor position. I was now a foreman on the railroad! Wohoo!
Yesterday, I felt stagnate and eroding. I set out for more in the beginning, so why in the world am I standing by, just going through the motions of my position.
Today, I realize, I'm BORED!
I set out for more, I set out to prove something to myself! Sure it would be nice to prove it to others, but quite honestly, it doesn't mean as much as when I say to myself, YOU DID IT!!
Yesterday, I took time to reevaluate where I am going and how I am going to get there! Now, in this career I am not quite sure where exactly I want to end up, but I know it's not where I am at right now! I am positive it is not, not learning anymore about cars/locomotives and it's not, not learning any more about being in a leadership position, that being said, I know I want to learn and be taught more more more, I want to take all the training and education in I can!
I would loooove to prove something for myself and other women, because I am really so tired of the phrase "it's hard for him to accept you because, quite honestly, your a female"! REALLY REALLY!! I thought we lived in 2010, and then I am reminded that I work with people that are dinosaurs!
Today, I realize, I am not finished and I still have potential and I am NOT stagnate! Today, I realized I am going to move forward and though I may not change things for women, I will change things for me and best of all I will prove to myself, that I really can do this! I AM doing this and I WILL do this better!
I think the hardest thing is proving things to myself!
SERIOUSLY, can we get rid of the "dinosaur thinking" already! I'm done, I'm so done just fighting to prove, that I can do it and that my mistakes are no more and no less than any other person in my position, I am equal. Guess what, when I get mad I'm still gonna cry and I'm still going to use my form of 'curse words', yep I'm still gonna say "it sucks rocks" and I am not going to use those crazy curse words the dinosaurs use (it's really ugly), but these things don't make me any less of a leader than a man in my position.
I really wish we weren't still at the stage (I really thought we passed this up a loooong time ago) where people thought women weren't capable of being good leaders, I really thought we were past that!
My dinosaur friends: It is time to accept and help or it is time to RETIRE!

No comments:

Post a Comment