RIP RUNNIN & ROARIN

This is just an outlet for me, to be able to get my thoughts out! I am a Woman, Wife and Mommy that also works outside the home! Just me trying to make it all work for the best for my family and myself! Just my journey!

Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Probably sharing way to much..........

I cannot stand that being a parent, I always wonder if I am doing the right thing and if I did something wrong in the way I raise my children. Does anyone else go through this?
I find myself asking myself these questions all the time:
Did I do to much?
Do I not do enough?
Is that punishment right?
Do they really understand how much I love them, do I show it enough?
Did I go back to work to soon or not soon enough?
Why do I explode at them at times, is that part of the reasons we are having issues right now?
How can I make them "get" responsibility?
How do I get them to communicate more, about school stuff?
I know my kids trust me, they tell me really personal stuff and we are able to talk through just about everything. But, what happened with school, is this just a phase? Will they grow out of it?
I pray for my children constantly and I pray for Larry and I as parents, I seek guidance. That should be enough right? I'm not sure if I am doing this parenting thing right and I hate not being sure! I feel so weak in strength right now, I am usually a very confident parent, but don't feel that way right now.
I just wish I had this parenting "thing" down. I follow my manual (my Bible) and try to do right all the time, and I know that I don't always do right. I have apologized to my children numerous times over the years for poor parenting skills and other times I have been confident that the way things were handled were proper and needed no apology.
How do I do this thing right, have I gone wrong or is it just a growing phase for us all?
One good thing is I know that my children feel loved and secure and they know they are watched out for and over, they know what is right and what is wrong and they know how to pray and who to seek guidance from.
I desperately want to do this parenting thing right, you know what I mean!

6 comments:

  1. You are doing fine as a parent.

    The only thing I will tell you is your children need to see you a confident parent so there is no need to apologize to them - for what?

    You pray, care, worry and praise them sounds like you are doing every thing you need to be doing.

    Show them you are strong because you are. Believe in yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The ups and downs of parenting. It's SO VERY HARD! I've shared your very same feelings before.

    I apologize to my kids when I mess up too. I think it's the right thing to do. It shows them that you're a person who makes mistakes and that you take responsibility for your actions. I think it also opens the door and makes them feel safe to come to you when they make mistakes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are not alone. Pastor Scott's post about listening really got to me. I am not good at listening to them. I need to work on that.
    I think we grow right along with our kids, and God graces us for it. You and I both are entering these scary years of parenting a teen-ager. It's a whole new ballgame, but you've laid a great foundation with your parenting skills, so no matter what blows your way (or theirs), your relationship with them will stand strong.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is so hard. I struggle with the same things every day. I just want to do a good job! I think your thoughts in this post show you are doing a great job...communication is key.
    I need to listen better, and I think apologizing to them is important because it shows that you make mistakes too.
    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your blog made me cry today. It was so heart-felt. I often think a lot of these same questions. How do we know if we are doing the right thing? And if we aren't, will it come back and hurt us later.......or them? I think every parent goes through this. You are not alone. At this age, they are with their own minds and ideas.......

    I am here for you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Chrissy -- I don't know if ALL parents go through the same doubts as you, but I definitely know I DID! Two things I did that MIGHT help you.

    First, I prayed this parenting prayer often: "Heavenly Father, please diminish the things I do wrong, and enhance the things I do right, because I don't have a clue which is which. In Jesus name I pray. Amen"

    The other thing is that I would tell my kids, when they would make me doubt myself as a parent (kids are sooo good at that), "I'm a parent for the first time, just like you're a kid for the first time." It kind of had a "we're in this together" feel.

    Hope these might help. I'll also say a special prayer for you today.

    Hubby and I have always said that the toughest thing we ever did was raising kids. I truly believe God gave us children to keep us humble!

    Sandra

    ReplyDelete