Our Internet and telephone have been "repaired" at least 4 times in the past month. Each time the company assures me it has been repaired properly, this time. Within 1 hour I discover we are having the EXACT same trouble I have called them out for! This is old, very very OLD! I believe I have a contract with them, but I wonder if you can prove how much trouble your having if that isn't a legitimate way out?
I am home for a short visit and I am supposed to head to Texas for more training. With hurricane Ike and the weather, I wonder if I really will be heading out again. Either way, I'll just have to "get it in" later.
Most important news: Keep my FIL in your prayers, he has started dialysis and it is going OK, not good and definitely not great. It is a learning process for both my in-laws. He also has surgery scheduled for the 19Th, to be the first of at least a couple.
Hubby, children and my parents all not only survived but were victorious in the two weeks without Mama. I did help with setting up with initial schedules, but they had to communicate daily and accommodate each others, changing schedules. Being as that, I was only available for phone conversations once each day, maybe twice, I wasn't much help and my availability for problem solving or schedule changing was limited, at best. My family is amazing at their ability to be flexible. Communication is key. Thanks so much to my family for allowing me the opportunity to achieve my goals!
Updates on my training to come soon, I am still processing two weeks crammed in! I took away so many key points, it was awesome.